Sunday 7 June 2015

More HF Ramblings.

I'm beginning to think that HF radios are a bit like buses. You wait for ages for one then two come at the same time 😀

A friend of mine told me he wanted to sell his Kenwood TS570 and would I like it? At the time I just didn't have the asking price as car insurance had eaten into my radio fund. Fast forward to this weekend and I obtained two Clark push-up masts, complete with all guying equipment. These masts are superb (the military use them) and, although used, they were in good condition with no bits missing. I mentioned them to my friend and suggested a deal on his radio. He was somewhat unsure if he really wanted the masts but we struck a deal once he had a chance to inspect them. So, I now have a superb condition TS570. My plan is to keep the little QRP radio and buy an Ampro mono band vertical for mobile use, then go out and about.

The picture shows the Platinum X1M with MFJ902 ATU and SWR/PWR meter on the left. In the middle is the TS570 with the Standard C5800 atop. To the right, suspended beneath the shelf, is my trusty old friend the Icom IC-E208. The Magitenna works quite well but I'm looking into the idea of an OCFD, as my friend has suggested extending the long leg down the garden and the shorter leg to go over the roof of the house (just maybe the XYL will be OK with that) - thereby looking less obvious. We will have to see what comes of that idea, but I'm in no immediate hurry.

Spent a couple of hours at the Spalding and District Amateur Radio Society Rally in Spalding. Lovely weather and was good to put faces to names. A nice bacon roll and mug of tea went down well and the weather was brilliant, as I said. I now have burnt arms but it was worth it.

73 for now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment