Sunday 20 September 2015

Ramble on

TVI problems continue to blight my enjoyment of HF. Despite lowering the antenna, winding chokes into the feeder, fitting an additional low pass filter to the feeder immediately out of the radio and a high pass filter to their telly and reducing output to 25W. The final option left is to fit a clip-on toroid to the feeder and see if that works.

It is all the more annoying this evening as there is a Falkland Islands station breaking the QRM on 20m at the moment and conditions on 20m are otherwise good.

I think I just have to accept that HF operation will have to be limited to monitoring for the foreseeable future. I have neither the time or the funds to further sort this problem out so HF will have to be sidelined for a while. Perhaps I could exchange my TS570 for an FT857 and work mobile.

My EchoLink node is now fully operational and I am able to use DMR from home via the GB7RR repeater and, thanks to a decent U/VHF antenna, I can operate simplex reasonably well so I have options for operating by other means.

As regular readers of my blog will know, I have a particular interest in DMR and Internet Linking in general and as such I hope to persue these avenues in greater detail.

I'm looking for either a Connect Systems CS800 mobile set or an equivalent Hytera mobile in order to have a permanent radio in the shack for DMR. As the repeater is connected to the DMR Plus network, a Motorola radio would only be of use when mobile and in the coverage area of a DMR-MARC repeater, so they're of little use to me at the moment.

In the meantime, I shall continue with U/VHF, DMR and EchoLink with aplomb until I figure out how best to approach HF operation.

So, from a disappointed 2E0ENN, 73 for now

No comments:

Post a Comment