Monday 9 March 2015

Extra ramblings

My most recent acquisition in the radio department is a 2m SSB radio. I have bought an elderly Standard C5800 and it's rather nice for an old radio. The condition is very good and with a couple of test transmissions using my collinear, it seems to be working well. I listened in on the VHF/UHF contest over the weekend but I wasn't able to hear too much due to using a vertically polarised antenna. I was tempted to call but I thought my antenna situation would be too much of a handicap. To remedy this I have acquired a 2m Yagi from Nigel, M0CVO,  and it will sit atop my mast in the next couple of weeks (in time for the next 2m UKAC contest).

Tomorrow night (March 10th) I will be sitting my Intermediate Exam in Grantham. I won't be alone as Konrad will also be sitting his exam. To be brutally honest, I feel a bit ill prepared - everybody says it'll be fine, but they've already got their certificate. I have to keep reminding myself that it's only a hobby, but it hasn't stopped me being slightly fretful. So the next blog might just have good news within.

The South Kesteven Amateur Radio Society has its first confirmed event lined up - at the Swaton Village Show. This is an annual event and incorporates the International Egg Throwing Championship. We will be running a SES and our HAB expert,  Andrew, will launch an egg into the ether, using a balloon - look out for Eggsplorer 1, website details will be available soon. The event is 28th June and Swaton is located near to Sleaford in Lincolnshire.

Check out the Club website www.skars.webs.com

That's all for now, 73's until the next time

No comments:

Post a Comment